The PPS Counselors assist people with personal, family, educational, mental health needs, career decisions and problems. While helping students plan for college and careers is part of their job, a guidance counselor's overall function is to talk to students, give advice, listen to problems, help students develop coping skills and learn to become good problem-solvers and decision-makers on their own. Specifically, school counselors play a major role in the social, emotional, and academic development of their students.
These are just some of the reasons you may want to see your guidance counselor:
- If you are concerned about your grades. Counselors can work with you to help improve your study skills, help you set goals, set up tutoring sessions (if you qualify) etc...
- If you are having trouble with students. Counselors and teachers can assist you resolve conflicts peacefully. Please let a counselor know if someone you know is experiencing trouble with other students as well.
- If you are sad. Sometimes we understand why we are sad and sometimes we don't. Either way, it is always good to talk to someone when you are sad.
- If you are feeling overwhelmed with school or life to the point that you are not sleeping well, or not eating normally, please see a counselor.
- If you are concerned about a friend, relative, etc..
- If you do NOT feel safe at school or at home for ANY reason.
- If you have knowledge of someone in possession of drugs, alcohol, weapon or other inappropriate items.
- Just to say hello! J
Who are my counselors?
6th grade - Mrs. Brooks - Mrs. Brooks' office is located on the sixth grades hall beside the girl's restroom.
7th and 8th - Mrs. Eiland - Mrs. Eiland's office is located on the 8th grade hall across from room 30.
When do I have an opportunity to see my counselor?
If you need to speak to a counselor, you may ask any teacher for a pass. You may come between classes and then the counselor will write you a pass to class. You may come to see a counselor in the morning before school starts. There will usually be a counselor on duty in the courtyard or in the main lobby.